Monday, March 4, 2013

Feeling good in the woods!

On Saturday, March 2nd, I ran my second Hillbilly Mountain Marathon in Olympia, Washington.  With the goal in mind to crush my time from last year (something about not running in 2 feet of snow might make me a little faster this year, but you never know).  While I did run faster, I didn't quite do what I wanted.

It wasn't equipment, I ran in my Altra's and couldn't have felt better.  People always ask, "how are those shoes?" "Aweome," is the only answer I can ever think to give, "great feel, room for my monkey toes and dang it they look cool"! No, the reason I didn't finish faster was totally mental.

I started great, kept a great pace, felt strong and was doing well until 6 miles left and my brain just told me to stop and take it all in.

You see my wife's grandmother just passed away (she was a huge part of my wife's life and helped raise her as a young child) and I spent the previous week watching and helping her and her family come togethor and plan her memorial.  With the memorial service the day before and seeing the emotion and effect she had on so many people and generations I just found myself in the middle of the marathon lost in thought all of a sudden.  All of a sudden running fast didn't seem so important.  So I just soaked up some of the environment, took pictures, and enjoyed the sideways rain that pelted me as I smiled to the finish line.

On to the next run!

Sometimes you just have to take it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment